App: Articulation Station Pro Español Buy it: Click here to download this app in iTunes! Developer: Little Bee Speech Population: Spanish-speaking children of all ages who may present with articulation or phonological processing difficulties. Cost: $44.99 Favorite Features: The app has activities with data tracking for individual AND group therapy sessions. Data can be tracked for up Read more about App Review: Articulation Station Pro Español by Little Bee Speech[…]
Smarty Ears Apps just came out with an exciting “Go Sequencing” app, which helps both monolingual and bilingual kids sequence functional and familiar events. It’s available in English, Spanish and Portuguese! Get it for the iPad here for $14.99.
To celebrate kids going back to school over the next few weeks, Smarty Ears Apps has agreed to give away the app FOR FREE to one lucky winner this week! Scroll to the bottom of this post for more information. […]
The following apps are FREE and fun to use with kids who are multilingual:
1. First Vehicles by Moo Moo Lab
Ahoy! By land, by air or by sea, the First Vehicles free version offers six different vehicle options including a fire truck, police car, submarine, ship, dump truck and airplane. Kids 1 and up can color the vehicles, pick the correct vehicle from a choice of 6 or solve a basic one-two piece puzzle. Best of all, the vehicles are interactive and fun! This app would work best for toddlers.
Upgrade: Love First Vehicles? There are expansion packs. Buy an additional 15 vehicles for $1.99 and 30 additional vehicles for $2.99.
Languages: English, French, Japanese, Mandarin, Spanish
Get it here.
2. Animal World by Moo Moo Lab
Elephants, Zebras and Peacocks, oh my! Another great game for toddlers, Animal World features […]
I’m always looking for fun and creative ways to assess linguistically diverse individuals who may present with speech deficits. When it comes to standardized assessments, it can be tricky. Many individuals present with language difference that standardized assessments are not designed to detect. As a result, many individuals who are culturally linguistically diverse appear to have deficits when in reality, they just communicate using different language productions. Articulation assessments such as the Goldman-Fristoe Test of Articulation are excellent for detecting speech sound disorders among monolingual students; however, I often find that they are difficult to use when assessing Spanish-speaking individuals.
Enter the Bilingual Articulation Phonology Assessment or the BAPA for short. Developed by Smarty Ears Apps, this app is extremely easy to use and efficient for speech therapists who work with individuals who present with articulation and phonological difficulties. While some may stand by the administration of standardized assessments on paper, over time with the support of empirical evidence, standardized assessment apps may just be the wave of the future for SLPs.
While looking into assessment apps, I immediately became intrigued by a demo provided by the developers. Now that I finally received the app and am able to review it (see below), I hope that this will help other SLPs looking for new assessment tools for Spanish-speaking individuals.
The BAPA was developed by Barbara Fernandes, Ellen Kester, Mary Bauman, and Scott Prath, and published by Smarty Ears. The BAPA can be used with individuals of all age groups. It is compatible with the iPad running iOS 5.1 or above.
Dialectal Difference Tool – This app can be customized depending […]
Many apps are on the market now for speech and language purposes, but some go even beyond that to cater to bilingual students. A majority of these apps are for Spanish speakers only. A complete list of apps for a variety of languages is currently being developed. The following apps meet this need and make our lives a little easier:
1. Adjetivos Remix – This app is a great tool to use for individuals who present with difficulty identifying and using adjectives! Developed by bilingual speech therapists, this app also features various opportunities for customization. For example, there is a settings tool where the app can be customized for colors, appearances or feelings. The Spanish demo could not be found but the English version is included here and has the same user interface and design.
- What I love about this app: The ideal feature that makes any speech therapist’s life easier is a progress monitoring feature. The app features an opportunity to take data and then email the data to track progress.
- Who this app is appropriate for: As stated above, the intended users are individuals who present with difficulty identifying and using adjectives. While this app would be especially great to use with children in a school setting, the fact that the app uses actual objects and not drawings makes it more age-appropriate for adolescents and adults who have language difficulties. It’s also user-friendly so parents will probably enjoy it immensely as well and use it with their children. The app is $9.99 on iTunes. This app also has an English version, which is the same price and can be found here.
- Available Languages/Dialects: English, Spanish
2. Bilingual Articulation Phonology Assessment (BAPA) – Now this app is a whopping $84.99, and honestly for that reason I have not yet used it. However, with that being said, it is a standardized assessment (which are usually much more expensive) and appears to be a notably credible assessment tool at that. In fact, please watch the demo included here […]